Fireworks Laws and How to Report Violations
In 2017, the state law changed to allow Pennsylvania residents over the age of 18 to purchase and use “Class C” or “consumer-grade” fireworks that include firecrackers, Roman candles, bottle rockets, and similar fireworks that contain a maximum of 50 milligrams of explosive material.
The use of Consumer-grade fireworks is subject to the following rules and restrictions:
- A person under the age of eighteen may not purchase, possess, or use consumer fireworks.
- A person may not intentionally ignite or discharge consumer fireworks on public or private property without the express permission of the owner. (This includes public parks, streets, and parking lots)
- A person may not intentionally ignite or discharge consumer fireworks or sparkling devices within, or throw consumer fireworks or sparkling devices from, a motor vehicle or building.
- A person may not intentionally ignite or discharge consumer fireworks or sparkling devices into or at a motor vehicle or building or at another person.
- A person may not intentionally ignite or discharge consumer fireworks or sparkling devices while the person is under the influence of alcohol, a controlled substance, or another drug.
- A person may not intentionally ignite or discharge consumer fireworks within 150 feet of an occupied structure.
It should be noted that the Borough DOES NOT have the authority to enact laws or ordinances that are more restrictive than the state law.
Violations of the above restrictions should be reported immediately to the Pennsylvania State Police by calling 9-1-1 for emergencies, or by calling our local PSP Station's non-emergency dispatch line for non-emergencies at 717-865-2194.
To report the use of fireworks in or on Borough parks, streets, or parking lots, please email or call the Borough at firstname.lastname@example.org or 717-866-5038 so that we may investigate and prosecute the offenders.
For more information, visit the Pennsylvania State Police page on the Pennsylvania Fireworks Law at the link below.