Info for Homeowners

Deeds and Mortgages
Ownership of real property is certified by records at the county court house.  The Lebanon County Recorder of Deeds preserves records relating to real property within the county.  He/she must record all deeds when they are duly executed and acknowledged, certify his/her seal on the back, and denote the place where the instrument is recorded.  Before recording a transfer of realty, the recorder forwards ownership information to the county assessment office.  He/she also records mortgages and enters on the margin all satisfactions, assignments, releases and postponements of the lien of mortgages.   He/she keeps photostatic copies and indexes of all recorded deeds and mortgages, a daily record of mortgages, and a daily record of mortgage and land conveyance transactions.  These records are open to the public.

Numbering of Buildings
The numbering plan for buildings in the borough begins at Main Avenue and Railroad Street, with even numbers assigned to all buildings on the east or south side of a street, and odd numbers assigned to all buildings on the west or north side of a street.  Property owners are required to number their buildings with the officially assigned number.  Numbers must be affixed, painted, or carved on the building, or on a pole, base, or support between the building and the street.  Each digit must be at least 3 inches high, and must be of such color and material as to be visible and legible from the street or alley that it fronts.

Uniform Construction Code
Myerstown Borough has adopted the Pennsylvania Uniform Construction Code as its construction code ordinance.  This code and its regulations control all matters concerning the construction, alteration, addition, repair, removal, demolition, location, occupancy, and maintenance of all buildings and structures in the borough.  It is the joint responsibility of the property owner and the contractor to obtain the required code permit before performing any work.  The code is administered and enforced by the Borough's appointed Building Code Official.

International Property Maintenance Code
Myerstown Borough has adopted the International Property Maintenance Code as its property maintenance code ordinance.  This code and its regulations provide for the regulation and safe use of existing structures in the interest of the social and economic welfare of the community.  They are intended to establish minimum maintenance standards for basic equipment, light, ventilation, heating, sanitation, and fire safety.  Responsibility is fixed among owners, operators, and occupants for code compliance.  The code is administered and enforced by the Borough's appointed Code Official.

International Fire Code
Myerstown Borough has adopted the International Fire Code as its fire code ordinance.  This code and its regulations govern the safeguarding of life and property from fire and explosion hazards arising from the storage, handling and use of hazardous substances, materials, and devices, and from conditions hazardous to life or property in the occupancy of buildings and premises in the borough.

Open Fires and Burning
Burning in a manufactured fire pit or chiminea is allowed in the borough under the following rules:

  • No burning between midnight and 8 a.m.
  • No burning refuse, rubbish, or waste
  • Fire pit or chiminea must be equipped with all safety features as recommended by the manufacturer
  • Someone must be in attendance at all times the fire is burning
  • At least one fire extinguisher or one of the following must be available on-site for immediate utilization: dirt, sand, water barrel, garden hose, or water truck
  • Fires must be at least 15 feet away from structures or combustible material 
  • Emissions must be visibly contained within the property
  • Foul-smelling air contaminants must be contained within the property
  • Emissions cannot  interfere with the reasonable enjoyment of life or property
  • Emissions cannot cause damage to vegetation or property
  • Emissions cannot be harmful to human or animal health
If there is no practical available alternative method for disposal, leaves, branches, and other non putrescible vegetable matter may be burned between the hours of 9 a.m. and 9 p.m. with approval of Borough Council.

All vegetation, especially trees, plants, and bushes, must be kept cut and trimmed by the property owner so as not to interfere with street lighting, vehicles, pedestrians, or vision of traffic.  They must also be kept cut and trimmed so that the minimum clearance between any sidewalk and any overhanging portion is not less than 8 feet, and the minimum clearance between the street and the overhanging portion is not less than 13.5 feet.

Myerstown Animal Ordinances

Animal Defecation

It is unlawful to allow a dog or animal to defecate or urinate anywhere but the property of the owner of the animal.  If a dog or animal defecates in any area other than the private property of the owner, the feces must be removed immediately and either carried away for disposal in a toilet, or placed in a nonleaking container for deposit in a trash receptacle. 

Animal Noise
It is unlawful to allow a dog or animal in the open to bark or yell for more than 15 minutes.  It is also unlawful to allow a dog or animal to cause a disturbance to another person by barking or yelling.

Non-Domestic Animal Keeping
It is unlawful to keep any non-domesticated animal (hogs, poultry, etc.) anywhere in the borough.

Feeding Stray Animals
It is unlawful to feed stray animals anywhere in the borough.*
This ordinance has been stayed pending the results of a trap-neuter-release program.

Pennsylvania Dog Laws
  • All dogs three months of age or older must be licensed.  Licenses are issued by the County Treasurer.
  • All dogs must be under control and must not be allowed to run at large.  Dogs are personal property, and owners are responsible for damages caused by their dog.
  • It is illegal to mistreat or abuse any animal.  Violations should be reported to a local humane organization or the police.
  • It is illegal to abandon or attempt to abandon any dog.
  • No dog under eight weeks of age may be sold, traded, bartered or transferred.
  • You may not place any poison or harmful substance in any place where dogs may easily eat it, whether it is your own property or elsewhere.
  • You must have a current kennel license if you operate a facility that keeps, harbors, boards, shelters, sells, gives away or transfers a total of 26 or more dogs in any one calendar year.
  • Owners of dogs and cats 3 months of age or older are required to have a current rabies vaccination.  It is illegal to interfere with an officer or employee of the Pennsylvania Department of Agriculture engaged in enforcement of dog laws.
Dog Licenses

Dog licenses are available from the Lebanon County Treasurer located in Room 103 of the Lebanon Municipal Building, 400 S. Eighth Street, Lebanon, PA.  Phone: (717) 228-4420

Dog licenses are available online at:

More information is available at:

Dangerous Dogs
Pennsylvania Dog Laws allow complaints to be filed before a magisterial district judge charging a dog owner/keeper with harboring a dangerous dog.  The dog is classified as a "dangerous dog" if the magisterial district judge finds beyond a reasonable doubt that the dog has injured a human without reason on public or private property, attacked another domestic animal and wounded or killed that animal, been used in a crime, or has a propensity to attack.

Once the dog receives "dangerous dog" classification, it is registered with the Bureau of Dog Law Enforcement and re-registered each year.  The owner must pay $500 annually for the registration, and is required to keep the dog confined.  "Dangerous dogs" cannot be outdoors or in public spaces unless they are properly muzzled.

File a Complaint
To register a complaint about a dog bite, dogs running at large, unlicensed dogs, rabid dogs, or kennels, contact the Pennsylvania Bureau of Dog Law Enforcement, or fill out this online form: Dog Law Complaint Form

Animal Abuse
If you suspect animal abuse and would like to report it, you should contact the local humane society police officer, the Humane Society of Lebanon County, the Pennsylvania SPCA, or the Pennsylvania State Police.

Humane Society of Lebanon County
150 N Ramona Rd
Myerstown, PA 17067
(717) 628-1369

Pennsylvania SCPA
350 E Erie Avenue
Philadelphia, PA 19134
(215) 426-6300