font size toggle icon
search toggle iconSearch Toggle
facebook icon twitter icon instagram icon

Regulation of Vegetation & Animals

All vegetation, especially trees, plants, and bushes, must be kept cut and trimmed by the property owner so as not to interfere with street lighting, vehicles, pedestrians, or vision of traffic.  They must also be kept cut and trimmed so that the minimum clearance between any sidewalk and any overhanging portion is not less than 8 feet, and the minimum clearance between the street and the overhanging portion is not less than 13.5 feet.

Myerstown Animal Ordinances

Animal Defecation

It is unlawful to allow a dog or animal to defecate or urinate anywhere but the property of the owner of the animal.  If a dog or animal defecates in any area other than the private property of the owner, the feces must be removed immediately and either carried away for disposal in a toilet, or placed in a nonleaking container for deposit in a trash receptacle. 

Animal Noise
It is unlawful to allow a dog or animal in the open to bark or yell for more than 15 minutes.  It is also unlawful to allow a dog or animal to cause a disturbance to another person by barking or yelling.

Non-Domestic Animal Keeping
It is unlawful to keep any non-domesticated animal (hogs, poultry, etc.) anywhere in the borough.

Feeding Stray Animals
It is unlawful to feed stray animals anywhere in the borough.*
* This ordinance has been stayed pending the results of a trap-neuter-release program.

Pennsylvania Dog Laws
  • All dogs three months of age or older must be licensed.  Licenses are issued by the County Treasurer.
  • All dogs must be under control and must not be allowed to run at large.  Dogs are personal property, and owners are responsible for damages caused by their dog.
  • It is illegal to mistreat or abuse any animal.  Violations should be reported to a local humane organization or the police.
  • It is illegal to abandon or attempt to abandon any dog.
  • No dog under eight weeks of age may be sold, traded, bartered or transferred.
  • You may not place any poison or harmful substance in any place where dogs may easily eat it, whether it is your own property or elsewhere.
  • You must have a current kennel license if you operate a facility that keeps, harbors, boards, shelters, sells, gives away or transfers a total of 26 or more dogs in any one calendar year.
  • Owners of dogs and cats 3 months of age or older are required to have a current rabies vaccination.  It is illegal to interfere with an officer or employee of the Pennsylvania Department of Agriculture engaged in enforcement of dog laws.
Dog Licenses

Dog licenses are available from the Lebanon County Treasurer located in Room 103 of the Lebanon Municipal Building, 400 S. Eighth Street, Lebanon, PA.  Phone: (717) 228-4420

Dog licenses are available online at:

More information is available at:

Dangerous Dogs
Pennsylvania Dog Laws allow complaints to be filed before a magisterial district judge charging a dog owner/keeper with harboring a dangerous dog.  The dog is classified as a "dangerous dog" if the magisterial district judge finds beyond a reasonable doubt that the dog has injured a human without reason on public or private property, attacked another domestic animal and wounded or killed that animal, been used in a crime, or has a propensity to attack.

Once the dog receives "dangerous dog" classification, it is registered with the Bureau of Dog Law Enforcement and re-registered each year.  The owner must pay $500 annually for the registration, and is required to keep the dog confined.  "Dangerous dogs" cannot be outdoors or in public spaces unless they are properly muzzled.

File a Complaint
To register a complaint about a dog bite, dogs running at large, unlicensed dogs, rabid dogs, or kennels, contact the Pennsylvania Bureau of Dog Law Enforcement, or fill out this online form: Dog Law Complaint Form

Animal Abuse
If you suspect animal abuse and would like to report it, you should contact the local humane society police officer, the Humane Society of Lebanon County, the Pennsylvania SPCA, or the Pennsylvania State Police.

Humane Society of Lebanon County
150 N Ramona Rd
Myerstown, PA 17067
(717) 628-1369

Pennsylvania SCPA
350 E Erie Avenue
Philadelphia, PA 19134
(215) 426-6300