font size toggle icon
search toggle iconSearch Toggle
facebook icon twitter icon instagram icon

Permits & Permit Fees

Myerstown does not have a single, uniform license that is required to operate a business.  However, certain licenses or permits must be obtained based on the location of the business, land and building use, and the type of goods and services offered.  

Transient Retail (Soliciting) Permit
One day     $15 
One Week  $26 
One Month    $32 
One Year $75 
Additional persons    $10 per person 

Construction Permits
Building Code Permits
For all major building and property renovations, you will need a building code permit to ensure your building will be in compliance with the Pennsylvania Uniform Construction Code (UCC).  The Borough of Myerstown has delegated the administration and enforcement of the (UCC) to the Lebanon County Planning Department (LCPD).  All code permit applications are received by the LCPD.  See the chart below for a quick reference guide to projects that require a Building Code Permit. 

Certificate of Occupancy

Prior to occupancy of a new or expanded building, a Certificate of Occupancy may be required under the Uniform Construction Codes (UCC).  In addition, a Certificate of Occupancy shall be required to be obtained from the Borough Staff whenever there is a change in the type of use of a property.

Certificate of Zoning Compliance
Zoning Permit
Before you start your business activities or occupy a building in Myerstown, you must have a certificate of zoning compliance from the Borough’s zoning administration officer (LCPD) stating that the proposed use of the building or land conforms to the zoning ordinance. A temporary certificate may be issued for up to 6 months during alterations or partial occupancy pending the building’s completion.  Applications for certificates of zoning compliance, along with a list of requirements, can be obtained at the LCPD offices.  A Zoning Permit indicates that a zoning application complies with the Zoning Ordinance, to the best knowledge of the applicable Borough Staff.

A Zoning Permit is required to be issued prior to the start of any of the following activities:
  • Erection, construction, movement, placement or extension of a structure, building or
  • sign, including but not limited to a fence or wall that is more than 3 feet in total height
  • Change in the type of use of a structure or land, or expansion of a use
  • Creation of a lot or alteration of lot lines
  • Creation of a new use
  • Demolition of a principal building, or partial demolition of the exterior of a principal building, if that building is regulated under the Zoning Ordinance
  • Site Alterations or Mineral Extraction as defined by Zoning Ordinance
  • Construction of a motor vehicle driveway, parking pad or parking lot
Both principal and accessory uses and structures shall need a zoning permit, except that the Borough may not require an individual zoning permit for accessory uses that are customarily incidental to a principal use that has received a zoning permit.

Zoning Ordinance Enforcement
The Borough of Myerstown has delegated the administration and enforcement of their zoning ordinance to the Lebanon County Planning Department (LCPD).  All zoning permit applications are received by the LCPD.

Building  and Zoning Permit     $20 for first $1,000 of construction costs
  + $1 per each additional $1,000 (to the LCPD)

Zoning Board of Appeals Application     $400 to the LCPD 
  $300 per meeting to the Borough

Other Permits
Dumpster Permit (on street)     $15  
Street Closing Permit  $15 per closing 
Poles and Guy Wires $5 per pole 
Street Opening/Excavation $30 per excavation 
Roadway Restoration Inspection    $25 
Car Restoration Permit $50 
Sidewalk Permit (for repair/replace)  $25 per 40' 

Do I Need A Construction Permit?
The following is a quick reference guide for common Residential construction projects.
YES - A permit is required  NO - A permit is not required 
 - Install or expand cooling system  - Repair or replace cooling system  
 - Install or expand heating system   - Repair or replace heating system 
 - Convert to different fuel type (e.g. oil to gas)   
 - Install or expand solar system   
 - Install new fireplace or wood-burning stove   

YES - A permit is required    NO - A permit is not required 
- Add new fixtures  - Repair or replace existing fixtures 

YES - A permit is required  NO - A permit is not required 
- Add new service  - Repair or replace outlet 
- Upgrade service  - Convert outlet to GFI 
- Add new circuitry   
- Install generator   

YES - A permit is required  NO - A permit is not required 
 - New construction or complete gut  - Repair drywall 
 - Increase number of dwelling units   - Install or replace carpet or flooring 
 - Convert non-habitable space into
 habitable space (finish basement/attic) 
 - Paint or wallpaper  
 - Close off door or window  - Install or replace siding 
 - Add door or window  - Install or replace gutters or downspouts 
 - Change size of door or window   - Replace kitchen cabinetry 
 - Add or remove ANY wall   - Replace door or window (no size change) 
 - Add or repair egress stairways   

YES - A permit is required   NO - A permit is not required 
 - Conversion to living space   - Repair existing chimney 
 - Install egress opening   
 - Repair foundation cracks or openings   

YES - A permit is required  NO - A permit is not required 
 - Replace roof (if removing plywood)  - Replace roof (shingles only)
 - Remove or replace porch, deck, or patio  - Repair existing porch, deck, or patio 
 with no change in size
 - Enlarge existing porch, deck or patio area   - Replace or resurface existing driveway
 with no change in size  
 - Enclose existing porch, deck or patio area   
 - Add roof over existing deck or patio area   
 - Construct any size shed, garage, or carport   
 - Construct or expand driveway area   
 - Construct fence or retaining wall   
 - Add any swimming pool capable of holding
 18" or more water depth 
 - Add or expand any impervious areas